Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 7 Evening Update

Here's a quick summary of today. They are still battling his temperature. The nurses have been putting cooling blankets under him because that seems to cool him off the best. These blankets consist of a grid of tubes that water just above freezing runs through. There is a big machine that looks like a portable A/C unit that runs the ice water through the tubes. The cooling blankets are not designed to be layed on, so his weight will stop the flow of water, then they aren't as cold after about 20 mins. But...they cool him off better if they get it really cold, then put them under him. They also will put one on top too. They don't think he has an infection anymore, they think that his 'thermometer' is just off because of the brain injury.

They know what is in his lungs now and they are treating him for it, so that's good.

His ICP has pretty much stayed in the high teens today. They did not do the SPECT today because once again, they didn't want to have him lay flat for that length of time. When he lays flat, his ICP goes up. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, huh?


~Betsy

2 comments:

  1. He is going to get you back for that last paragraph...I can hear him now.. Thanks again to everyone and your precious prayers..Uncle Gordy, Aunt Joy and Joan...thank you for the message tonight..I really needed to read that...and Alex and Jolee for your sweet visit..I so appreciate you all. Here's to miracles and magic and whatever it takes to make him well. If I could change places with you Scott I would.. I Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us secretly wished that the world would hang on news of our pooping. You win booger! This time....

    This post makes me happy. I'm so glad they think he doesn't have an infection! Now just to get that pressure down! I wish they had some kind of vacuum they could put him in at least until they could figure everything out.

    ReplyDelete