Sunday, April 18, 2010

The many thoughts of Diane

Ok so first which is really last.... I got to the end of rereading this and realized I want this part of the story 1st not last lol
I can not begin to describe the Awesomeness of this Hospital! They truly are here for the whole thing. I know Scott is in the best care because every single hospital worker is great! The lady who cleans, asked me how my husband is doing when I was in the hall! She remembered me enough that she could ask even when I was not in the room with him! From Surgeons to Doctors to Nurses to Respiratory Monitors to Ultrasound Techs to the people at the Desk (I know how important they really are cuz I'm one) all who have been many different people. They are all great at taking care of Scott first and yet me as well. From Claudia the Social worker to Andrea the Care Manager to Mark the Chaplin who are all here for me and the family. Wow what a huge relief knowing I have people in the Hospital for me

It's Sunday afternoon & I'm back in 'the room'. I was able to spend the last 24 hours with the kids. We went to spend the night with my grandma in Arlington (where I grew up/Scott & I lived when 1st married, for any who don't know) I took the kids to see 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' downtown with g-ma, Christina (my older sister) and her boys. It was so great to have them with us. Tanner was a great distraction for Coby. Going to the movies is a very usual thing for our family to do. We love movies and anytime we're in A-Town & Norma's playing a movie we've considered seeing, we go. The prices are amazing, the candy selection is huge and well I worked there all through High School, how can we not go. Cora was very cuddly and had lots of comments on the movie, which was great it kept me from thinking about Scott and how he should be there with us. I did have a few of these thoughts none the less :( It was great to sit & chill with the kids .Then I was able to sleep in between them last night which was a treat in it's self.
We were able to go to church this morning before heading to Besty's for the kids swap. It was really nice to do something normal. Coby sang the songs so well today, which is something Scott has been working with him on during church at home. It was so amazing to hear his voice and know he was reading the words as he sang all because his dad knew it was important. (Coby sticks pretty close to Scott and Cora sticks pretty close to me during sacrament meeting) I had them both laying on my lap most of the meeting playing with their hair. What a sweet experience to have them close & quit while hearing about how keeping the commandments of God brings blessing and makes us happy.
I agree! I'm sure many people have been asking "How could this happen to Scott?" "Why him" "He doesn't deserve this!"
All I can say is, I see the blessings & the answers to prayers that this has brought in our lives already! It's too difficult and way to personal for me to share, but know that yes this experience has answered some of his specific prayers... just not in a way he or I would have expected!

Scott and I were planning to go to the temple this month and as we were in the ambulance driving over my mind was racing from one thought & prayer to the next. I could not help but pray as hard as I could for the Lord to allow me to keep Scott. I kept thinking what will I do if we loose him, and automatically thought I will not! I can't raise our children without him. They have to learn things from him that I can't teach them. My prayers turned to the Lord and I remembered that we were planning to go soon. I automatically thought, sweet I will be able to go to the temple more often with being so close to Bellevue. As we got closer to it, if you don't know you can see the Latter Day Saints Temple from I-90 really well at night, I got anxious to see it. I needed it's calming feeling. Once I saw the temple I got the overwhelming feeling to go ASAP. So I made a plan to go Saturday morning. As we have learned in this 'room' time flies very fast in here. I was finally ready to go & he was agitated when I went in for a look before I left. I started thinking, it's more important for me to stay here with him in this state. I can go another time, even later today. But I got the distinct feeling that I needed to go now. So I turned to mom & said get me to the temple. We were able to go and have a wonderful experience there. But once I was ready to go, I was ready to go and panic set in. For the 1st time ever I got out of the temple as fast as I could for an update. I'm sure Besty was a bit shocked to hear my voice with such panic as I asked how things were. They were as good as could be expected. Ah finally back in 'the room' with Honey. I know I did what the Lord wanted and I believe Scott was blessed by my obedience to the commandments.

As we all know the week was full of ups and downs. I remember going to bed on Wednesday thinking it is going to be so long before things turn around and he has good days. Then Thursday hits. It was a very scary morning for me. I heard the word LP and thought about the show House. It always seems like a huge deal if you're to the point of an LP. I automatically called my mom and told her she had to go to the temple as soon as she could that morning! (she is in Utah visiting my sister Caroline. She has had the tickets to go for months & I told her I needed to to still go, mainly it was so Care had some family. I know always looking out for others. But I also needed my mom where she could be free to go as I needed her to.) She told me the night before that Thursday was sitting to work on genealogy day. I heard LP & thought sorry moma genealogy day is turning into temple day. When I told I needed her to go she had not hesitation she walked the mile or so to get there and actually spent most of the day serving the Lord. Later she told me, "I know the Lord will bless Scott to make it through this experience." I can't express the gratitude I have for my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the one thing I need at this time... My Loving Husband to stay with me!
I know that the time of it was a blessing as well. I can't express how many things have fallen into place where the person I needed hep from was able to help so easily & yet if this happened even a week later that would have been much more difficult.
I'm beside myself to think that I have also been blessed by so many people in our life with help, support and prayer. I can't express the feeling in my heart for each of you who have supported our family in this trail. To all those who follow this blog. Wow I am touched that you care enough to see how we're doing.

I have a few thoughts I'd like to share.... I know I know after that book, she still has more to say? Why of course. Ask anyone who has had the pleasure of reading an incident report I've written at the Y how much she can say :)
I'm not sure how many know, but I had to stay in 'the room' when they did the LP. I was so scared. They had to sit him up because he was not stable enough for laying down. It was not an easy thing. Almost 200lbs of sedated weight, it took 4 nurses to get him up. Oh I say I had to stay because, well I had a choice to be in the room and well it was a do you stay & know what was happening or sit in the waiting room with no idea. I had to know, so I had to stay. But staying was not easy. By the way a huge Thank You to Dr. Schubert the Neuro Surgeon/Fellow that did the procedure. He took the time to come tell me it looked much worse than it was ans he took lots of time to explain the whole thing to me afterwards.
I had a little church guide book in my bag that I had to read to keep me distracted. I came across a few phrase that really helped me. I know that although our currant trial is way more obvious than most people have, I'm not oblivious to others having struggles in their lives. And if you're like me they feel huge...until you find yourself sitting in the hospital. So here they are. I know that many who read this do not believe exactly as we do, but I hope that these thought bring you comfort, because it is all I can do after all the many things you have done for us. Even if all you have done is read our postings, you have been a strength to our family.
These are all from 'True to the Faith, a gospel reference" for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Wow my English teachers over the years should be happy, I sited a source on an Internet blog lol

Thoughts:
-Adversity will vary, one response should always be constant, your trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
-You do what They require even when you desire something else.
- He may allow you to wait so you can continue to learn and grow.
-Find comfort...the Savior understands your trails perfectly. He has experienced your pain, He knows how to help you.
-Your success and happiness, both now and in the eternities, depends largely on your responses to the difficulties of life.
-You may simply need to be patient and faithful.

If you made it to the end of this posting, I congratulate you with my love and gratitude! Diane

6 comments:

  1. Didee, I congratulate you on your strength and faith in such a crazy time. Today Alli, Carly and I were continuing to learn from your temple lessons and giggling about the flashing chalkboard sign. Today it was more relevant than ever and I'm so happy you're so close to the temple. Lots of love! -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didee.... I agree with Whit 1 million hundred thousand percent! Your faith and strength through all of this has been amazing! Every single time I here 'Temple' or 'Temple Marriage', I think of your flashing chalkboard sign... *GET MARRIED IN THE TEMPLE* (with the flashing hand signals!) I love you so much Didee and I'm so proud of you!
    Love~Alli

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are strong and BRAVE! We love and pray for you constantly. We miss you and hope to see you sometime soon. If you need anything, please let us know. Thank you for showing your strength and faith. Thank you for being honest and blunt at times so we can feel the constant need for prayer and keeping those prayers for Scotty in our heart at all times. Your names were brought up more than once today in church, prayers and conversations. Know that we all are HERE for you and THERE if you need us. A HUGE thank you to all of you keeping us posted. Love you<3 Pary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,
    I thought I was done crying for at least a few days, but my goodness your words of wisdom, love, and hopefulness made my eyes become a water fountain. The last couple days and the talks we had mean the world to me. I admire you so much thank you for all that you do. We had a lot of fun going to the movie yesterday too. I love you and the kids so much. I love you tooo Scott.
    And Scott thank you for all the help that you have given me with my boys I do listen to what you have to say and try really hard to follow your advise.
    Your loving sister,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,
    So glad you have felt Heavenly Father's blessings in your life at such a tough time. Wes and I continue to keep you, Scott and the kids in our prayers. We will keep checking on you through the blog and JJ is keeping Wes updated as well.
    We love you all and can't wait to see you guys again.
    Love ya,
    Wes and Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, Thank you for your thoughts. I am so thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ...and adversity is an amazing blessing, even though at times it does not feel like it. We went to church in Leavenworth Branch and the speaker talked about Scott(an example in Elder Utchdorf's conference talk) and mentioned that he thought Scott had a relative in that branch and we were all thinking a lot of relatives today. It is amazing how the gospel pulls everyone together. I would say there are way more than 300 hundred praying for Scott. Your small little family, and Tara and John and Betsy and Scott have touch many many lives for the better and everyone wants to return a small measure if it is only through prayer. We love all of you and are so grateful for your faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete