Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 13 Mid-day Update - (MRI TODAY)

Update to this post....Scott is probably just finishing up having an MRI today (3:00).

Sorry this post is late this morning....I think the main reason is because there hasn't been very much change since last night.

He had a restful night. Had a breathing test this morning for about an hour and only had slightly raised BP and HR with that. The breathing test is done by turning off the ventilator to see how he breaths on his own. We're pretty sure that even though he does a pretty good job with that, we're still looking at having a trach placed this week. This will help him transition easier to breathing on his own. It will also make him more comfortable when he does wake up. Again, could you imagine waking up to having a tube down your throat and not panicking?

He had a CT this morning and that came back fine. The swelling is going down and the brain is 'settling' back into where it needs to be. No major changes and pretty much where the surgeons figured he'd be.

One of the main doctors (the internal guy - he deals with everything else going on with Scott) wanted to get an MRI soon...so that may be today. I've gotten pretty used to them telling us they want to do something and then it doesn't happen that day due to one thing or another. So, if he has an MRI, I will give more details afterwards. I will give more details of the tracheostomy (tracheotomy is an incision into the trachea (windpipe) that forms a temporary or permanent opening which is called a tracheostomy - I had to look up what the difference was in spelling) later also.

I can't remember if I'd mentioned another thing that's been going on and that's his blood count. He's got anemia right now and they've been keeping a close eye on that to determine if he will need a blood transfusion. This is still a possibility but Diane said that his blood count is up today...so that's good. We'd obviously like to avoid any procedure we can. I really don't want to see him have horse blood and start 'neighing' all the time....just kidding.

As always...more later. :) Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!

~Betsy

9 comments:

  1. If he needs a blood transfusion, do they use his own blood or will he need donors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are awesome. I think they get the blood from the blood bank, stuff that has been screened for everything possible. I will find out. Great question!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates Betsy and thanks for the humor...it so reminds me of Scott!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked that question this weekend, because I am a universal donor and Scott is A positive and they told me that the proccess is too long and they would take from a bank etc... nice thought thou and much appreciated! Thanks for toe wiggles today, and thumbs up Scott. We love You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...I'm loving the questions. Just keeps us all in the loop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE would be in line to donate anything Scott needs...Just let us know. Love you all! Looking forward to spending time with the kiddos this weekend. Thanks DIane for asking! <3 pary

    ReplyDelete
  7. gijoes7@comcast.netApril 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM

    Please pass this on to Diane! Oh yes you would love to hear him neighing! Joe feels bad not being able to go to give Scott a blesssing, but he would not be a good choice to be around him an d give him whatever he caught. (they would not even let him get close). Thank you for asking, please feel free to phone again if we can help.Thanks for all the updates! DIANE, SORRY WE DID NOT GET TO TALK TO YOU ON SUNDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who wants to give blood, I say go to the blood bank and give(my mommy tells me it's a super great morman high)But it's super helpful to lots of people.
    Kenck's: I'm super excited the kids are going to have such a super fun weekend.
    Dicksons: I'm super sorry I blotted after church. I have to say I was too afraid to talk to people I knew. Super Stupid Emotions! Some missionaries came to give Scott a blessing so we're super good.
    Sorry Suz is sitting next to me & we're having fun with the word SUPER...laugher is a good thing in times like these...right???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane and Suz you 2 crack me up!!! I love you guys. When my sisters get together watch out they get a little crazy (in a funny fun way).
    Like Diane said blood banks are in great need of blood. From working in the Emergeny Room I have seen first hand that it saves lives everyday! It may not be Scott at this point but it will be someone else in great need for it. To anyone that does donate the rewards are great. Knowing that you will save a life, WOW! I promise you will safe a life. You may never see it but I see it first hand everyday and so do families like Scotts'
    Dianes sister,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete