Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 23 Update

I have always looked forward to these posts. Even when the news was not good, I knew that by doing these, I have been helping in my own little way. Helping Scott's loved ones stay informed and helping journal this moment in Scott's life. Knowing he can go back and read how he was from day 1 is going to be so helpful in the recovery process. We've been told he will forget most of this experience, and may very well like to forget it, but with time, he may want to know. I find myself enjoying the past couple posts more and more though...because tonight I have another good one!

The Floor

Day one is now complete of Scott being moved to the floor. Diane has her own bed in his room now and stays with him all night. It's comforting knowing she's there and that he also doesn't need as much nurse attention. Now she gets to get up with him in the middle of the night and see to most of his needs. Even if it's just making sure he's not trying to get out of bed (like at 1:30 this morning!). I told her it must feel like having a newborn again and she kind of laughed.

There is not a lot to post on his medical condition. This is a good thing. They pretty much have him off all IV drugs now. If they need to give him something, they give it through his feeding tube or in his picc line. He still gets a shot every day to prevent blood clots and he's not a major fan of these because they burn afterwards. He also had a swallowing test today. Got to have ice chips and applesauce. Yummy. He is getting a little anxious for real food. I can not imagine what it would be like to not eat for over 3 weeks. And yes, he has lost some weight since the feeding tube is probably just the bare minimum.

They started physical therapy today and will continue to do that for quite some time. When he's awake, he's awake. Personally, I have yet to see him really awake. When I was down there yesterday, he woke up for about 5 minutes and on Tuesday, he talked to me a little but was still a little sore from having his ventilator taken out. Here's a great example of just how awake Booger can be:

Booger (to Diane): Where's my phone?
Diane: You want your phone? Why?
Booger: Want to text Farmer.
Diane: Ok. (He tries to text and Diane has to help him) What do you want to text?
Booger's text: Catheters Suck! (send)
Farmer's text: Who is this? (He's wondering who stole Scott's phone)
Diane texts an explanation. Farmer was thrilled!
..................................................................................................................................

This is just one example (my personal favorite) of Scott having his personality back. He can get a little impatient and wants to know what's going on. He wants explanations of what's happening to him and I think it's great that he's so aware. Sometimes he forgets things and has to be told again. I am still shocked at his progress this week and think about how it was only 1 week ago that we had our meeting with some staff members to discuss his treatment plan. There are times when it feels like this is all flying by and then there are times when it can't go fast enough. Let's keep sending our love his way and hope for his days to just get better and better.

~Betsy

8 comments:

  1. Good to hear great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news, Josh and I had a good laugh about his text :) Too Funny! keep it up Scott! - Josh and Dora Potter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! A bed for Diane! That's nice, although I think it would feel like having a newborn again...probably worth the loss of sleep. I love Scott's text and have to agree! Keep it up you guys are doing great! Love to you.-Val & Kevin Carney

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day! WE love all of you and cry every time we read the latest. Scott, you are AMAZING! Diane, your total commitment to your husband has been inspiring! Betsy, you are talented and have a way with words that tell it like it is! Thank you so much! Tara...you have shown great strength. I have learned so much from all of you! I am with Betsy when she says lets all continue to send out love and hope for better and better days! Miracle is all I can say...Love you! Pary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The text thing cracked me up as well. That is so great! I can see it now. LOL I can't stop laughing about it for some reason. It's good to have you back Scott :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have that Doctors found out what Caused this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic & Hilarious to hear that Scott is being Scott (loved the TEXT Message to Farmer & Farmer's reaction!!!)Poor Scott (Catheters DO SUCK)! Keep getting better & better everyday...YOU are an answer to prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading this post!! It's always nice to log on and read good news. Glad to hear they are looking out for you to Diane. Our Prayers continue to go your way. Scott, I love your humor!! Keep it coming. . they say laughter is the best medicine~right?!

    ReplyDelete