Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 64, Diane

Sorry yesterday got away from me and I never had a chance to post. That's the hard part of sharing the computer with the kids. When I have time to type, they want to play.

The Social Worker came and talked to us. She says Scott is still progressing well. One of the things I learned is that to stay as in-patient (at the hospital) he has to still require 2 of the 3 therapies. He still requires all 3 so we will be here another week. Very possibly more! His seizure medicine is giving him side effects and so the medical staff is working on that. It's very annoying to Scott, he just wants to get through therapy and get to out-patient (home but coming in during the week). Adding the extra 1/2 hour of PT has made his endurance go down for all therapies....DUH!

A term that is used in OT & a lot in ST is scanning. I finally asked what it means. To me it was seeing everything in view, I soon realized it must be much more with how they use this term. Scanning means: seeing what's in your visual field then interpreting it so your brain understands everything it's seeing. The brain has to relearn attention to detail. Decide what language you use to describe the info the eyes give. Decide what sequence things may happen in to get this end result or the end result you want. BASICALLY scanning is EVERYTHING you do without thinking ALL DAY LONG! Wow that's rough!
Let's see... something easy we do that is a HUGE process for Scott... I want to brush my teeth. Where would the toothbrush be? Ah sink, I need to call for help to get there. Can I stand or am I too tired so I need to sit. Help comes I say I need to sit to brush my teeth. Out of bed I go into the chair & now I'm more tired. Let's see oh yes toothbrush, where would it be? Look for the bag with all the grooming supplies. Ah toothbrush in hand. Did I pass the toothpaste in there? Ah here it is. Put some on the brush and now turn the water on. Yay it's time to brush, then spit and get mouth wash to swish. Put everything away. Where that bag again? Ah yes it's all put away. Turn to whoever helped you get here to ask for help to get back in bed.
Are you as exhausted reading this as I am from writing it? Now take that experience on something so simple multiply it by your whole day and that should give you an idea of what Scott goes through. Oh wait don't forget to add the fact that majority of what you see is blurry!
... Sorry I hope this reads as informational and not the rant that is it :) because I know I was a little annoyed with not getting a yes or no to if we're on track to be here only another week? So we continue on with our goal of getting out ASAP even if it may not be as soon as we hoped.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there guys and just know it's all for the best. The brighter side of things...you're not at Swedish anymore!

    ReplyDelete