Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 51, Diane

I guess I should just mention that Scott and I are working on doing the daily posts now. Basically he tells me what to report about and it goes up in my words... which usually means books, too bad for you lol!

Today was a good day, there's lots to share! I had Coby skip school so him and Cora could see what therapy is like for Scott. I have had to change plans on the kids everyday since we have been home. I feel horrible about it and even worse, I know that it will happen again... So I decided they need to understand why this happens. I'm not one to shield my kids from reality. Scott and I have always taught them that each family is different. All parents set different rules and allow/don't allow different things, so why would I shield them form the reality of Scott's situation. I need them to know that after a shower, getting cloths on and brushing teeth, he is so tired he has to sleep for awhile. I wanted them to see that where he use to go to the Y for over an hour to workout, he now can barley stretch or even walk down the hall and when he's done he is back in bed. It was a great experience for them to see and Scott loved having them here. The therapists were the best each finding ways to involve the kids, which helped so much.
Occupational Therapy: After getting ready, we worked on arm exercises. Me, Coby and Cora all stood around the bed and did them too. The kids got extra exercises to do while Scott rested. The best was Cora's push ups in her red cowgirl boots!
Physical Therapy: Scott did a lot of stretching/stabilizing exercises. It was funny how many of them I do in the Power Toning class I taught...once upon a time.... The kids got to help in a resistance exercise. Coby did great just the right amount of resistance. Cora however thought it was a 'let's see how strong I am' and used all her weight. The kids really liked PT because today was therapy dog day, so there was a pug to play with. There was also a patient earlier that had the wii fit out so the kids go to use it.
Speech Therapy was the best for me. Today was work sheets day, no fun but... Coby climbed up in the bed with Scott and learned how to cue him on finding things he may have looked over. He has neglect on the left side along with the vision issues. So he has to often be prompted to look all the way to the left of the paper. It was so fun to have Coby looking over his dad's shoulder at his 'school work'. They were so cute....crap how did I miss getting a picture of that? Oh well she left homework for Scott and made copies for the kids to work on it with him. The funniest was when Scott was doing addition problems. Coby says "dad you got that one wrong" and Scott saying "no I didn't". Then Coby looks again and says, "oh I looked at the number wrong. You're right." Scott's says, "Oh you're just trying to prove me wrong"
I have a feeling I'll hear that phrase often in the coming years when Coby's a teenager :)

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice to see such upbeat posts and that the kids are there and able to be a part. Very, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete